At Stanley Black & Decker, we are committed to transparent reporting of our environment, health and safety results. Using 2015 as a baseline, we set five-year targets to reduce adverse impacts on our people and our planet while improving the sustainability of our products.
Year 2020 Targets
Goal: Zero life-changing injuries.
Goal: Reduce operational energy consumption by 20%.
Goal: Reduce operational water consumption by 20%.
Goal: Reduce operational waste generation by 20% and reuse or recycle 80% of the total waste generated.
Goal: Reduce carbon emissions by 20% and source 10% of global energy demand with renewable energy.
Goal: Achieve external EMS certifications at 65% of our manufacturing sites and distribution centers.
Goal: Improve product sustainability and social accountability with the participation of select partner suppliers in CDP.
Energy Intensity (KBTU/HR)(2)
Carbon Intensity (MT/KHR)(2)
Water Intensity (GAL/HR)(3)
Waste Intensity (LBS/HR)(4)
Hazardous Waste (LBS/HR)
RECOGNITION AND MANAGEMENT SYSTEM(1)
2019 CLIMATE VS WATER(6)
2019 IEQ* INDUSTRY(6)
External Certifications(7) (% MFG | DC)
INJURY/ILLNESS RATES(1), (5)
|Total recordable injuries | illnesses||433||491||495||521||482|
|Number of lost time injuries | illnesses||138||152||158||144||147|
|Lost days due to injuries | illnesses||6,131||5,171||5,295||4,860||5,133|
|Work hours in millions||135.3||135.1||129.4||120.5||118.2|
|Total recordable rate||0.64||0.73||0.77||0.86||0.82|
|Lost time rate||0.20||0.22||0.24||0.24||0.25|
- For each year, results reflect current company business structure and applicable discontinued operations.
- Energy intensity in kilo British thermal units demand per work hour; CO2e carbon dioxide equivalents intensity in metric tonne emissions per thousand work hours. Both bar-pie chart pair reflect stationary Scope 1 plus Scope 2.
- Water intensity in withdrawal gallons per work hour.
- Waste intensity in total generation pounds per work hour.
- Total recordable rate and lost time rate = # of applicable incidents per 100 employees per year.
- CDP and RobecoSAM scoring from Stanley Black & Decker annual submission to these sustainability transparency initiatives.
- Percentage of factories and distribution centers certified to applicable EHS/Sustainability management system standards in that reporting year.