When you trace it all the way back, it comes down to three individuals: Frederick Stanley, Duncan Black, and Alonzo Decker.
Hundreds of years later, we’re proud to continue their legacies and we’re proud to carry their names forward.
In 1843, Frederick Stanley started a small shop in New Britain, Connecticut, to manufacture bolts, hinges, and other hardware from wrought iron. With superior quality, consistent innovation, and rigorous operational improvement, Stanley’s company defined excellence, and so did his products.
In 1910, S. Duncan Black and Alonzo G. Decker started their shop, similar in size at first, in Baltimore, Maryland. Six years later they changed the world by obtaining the world’s first patent for a portable power tool, and the company they built has been changing the world through innovation ever since.
Both companies grew in parallel over the ensuing decades, amassing an unparalleled family of brands and products and an even more impressive wealth of industry expertise.
In 2010, the two companies combined to form Stanley Black & Decker, to deliver the tools and solutions that industrial companies, professionals, and consumers count on to be successful when it really matters.
Just as it was in 1843, our passion for excellence is seen around the world in our disciplined operations, purposeful business growth, and loyal customer relationships.